A Doctor Who superfan has hailed the casting of Matt Smith in the show's lead role.

Stand-up comedian Toby Hadoke, whose Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf one-man show was broadcast on Radio 4 in 2007, compared the appointment of 26-year-old Smith to that of Peter Davison in 1981.

"I hated Peter Davison when he was cast because he was young," he said."He wasn't The Doctor I was used to, and because I was going through that adolescent phase of fandom where you actually get your joy out of the programme by being cross with it.

"Fortunately I'm a grown up now, and Peter Davison is one of my favourite Doctors."

Hadoke added that Smith's appearance on Saturday's Doctor Who Confidential was a strong indicator that show producers have picked the right man to replace David Tennant when he steps down from the role in 2010.

"Matt Smith's interview showed him to be offbeat, mercurial and possessive of wonderfully expressive fingers. I await his performance with optimism and wish him the very best of luck," he said.